Epic unveils new revenue sharing program

Epic unveils new revenue sharing program

Fortnite giant Epic Games has unveiled a new revenue-sharing program for developers using its storefront.

In a post on its website, the company revealed the Epic First Run program which allows studios to keep 100 per cent of the net revenue from their projects for the first six months after they release their game. This is only applicable for third-party developers launching their games on the Epic Games Store.

After that six month period, creators go back to receiving the standard 88 per cent, giving the remaining 12 per cent to Epic Games.

The company boasts 230 million players and 68 million monthly active users.

"Epic Games Store launched in 2018 with an 88%/12% revenue split," Epic Games CEO and founder Tim Sweeney said on Twitter.

"Now developers can also choose a new option: launch your PC game on EGS first for 6 months for a 100%/0% revenue split. Devs earn more money, Epic reaches new customers, everyone wins."

PCGamesInsider Contributing Editor

Alex Calvin is a freelance journalist who writes about the business of games. He started out at UK trade paper MCV in 2013 and left as deputy editor over three years later. In June 2017, he joined Steel Media as the editor for new site In October 2019 he left this full-time position at the company but still contributes to the site on a daily basis. He has also written for, VGC, Games London, The Observer/Guardian and Esquire UK.