ALL THE LATEST NEWS ABOUT THE BUSINESS OF PC GAMES

News

Epic Games Store boasted 160m PC users in 2020

Epic Games Store boasted 160m PC users in 2020

Fortnite maker Epic Games says that its PC storefront boasts more than 160 million users as of 2020.

That's an increase of 48 per cent year-on-year from the 108 million players that the company claimed to have landed in 2019.

In a news post breaking down its 2020 performance, Epic said that its platform boasted 31.3 million daily active users, a 192 per cent increase year-on-year. Monthly active users increased from 32 million to 56 million – a slight decrease from the 61 million MAUs that Epic boasted in June – while peak concurrent users almost doubled from seven million to 13 million in 2020.

For comparison, Steam's record for simultaneous users is 25 million people. Valve's platform boasts more than 120m monthly active users as well as 62.6 million daily active users. Of course, Steam has been running for a much longer period of time than the Epic Games Store, so it's hardly surprising that it boasts more impressive figures.

Back to the Epic Games Store, PC users spent more than $700 million on the store. That comes in at an average of around $4.38 spent per person. $265 million – or 37 per cent – of this total was spent on third-party releases, with the remaining 63 per cent - around $441 million – being spent on first-party titles, i.e. Fortnite during 2020.

People spent 5.7bn hours playing games on PC last year, a 70 per cent increase. No doubt that was partly driven by a certain pandemic that had people stuck indoors for much of 2020.

Last year, Epic says that it gave away 103 games for free, with users claiming over 749 million of these.

During 2020, Epic continued its strategy of snapping up exclusivity of some games. This has included the likes of Hitman 3, which developer IO Interactive says helped reduce risk of self-publishing.


PCGamesInsider Contributing Editor

Alex Calvin is a freelance journalist who writes about the business of games. He started out at UK trade paper MCV in 2013 and left as deputy editor over three years later. In June 2017, he joined Steel Media as the editor for new site PCGamesInsider.biz. In October 2019 he left this full-time position at the company but still contributes to the site on a daily basis. He has also written for GamesIndustry.biz, VGC, Games London, The Observer/Guardian and Esquire UK.

Comments

No comments
View options
  • Order by latest to oldest
  • Order by oldest to latest
  • Show all replies