ALL THE LATEST NEWS ABOUT THE BUSINESS OF PC GAMES

News

Contact Sales boss expects 60 per cent of its sales to be digital by end of 2019

Contact Sales boss expects 60 per cent of its sales to be digital by end of 2019

The MD of publisher Excalibur and distributor Contact Sales Robert Stallibrass has said that over the current calendar year it is going to see around a shift of around 20 per cent shift from its physical sales to digital. 

Speaking to PCGamesInsider.biz, the firm's boss said that - currently - boxed games make up more than 60 per cent of Contact Sales' current business. However, by the end of 2019, he expects 60 per cent of its sales to be digital, with the remaining 40 per cent being physical.

"Since Contact Sales was started nearly 23 years ago, physical sales have been the backbone of the business," he said.

"Boxed sales continue to be strong and currently represent over 60 per cent of our total business. But the means to deliver software to the consumer, just like the music and video markets, is changing exponentially.

"By the end of this year I would expect 40 per cent of sales to be boxed, and 60 per cent to be digital."

You can read more about Contact Sales and Excalibur's changing business in our upcoming interview with Stallibrass


Editor - PC Games Insider

Alex Calvin is a freelance journalist who writes about the business of games. He started out at UK trade paper MCV in 2013 and left as deputy editor over three years later. In June 2017, he was hired to launch PCGamesInsider.biz for Steel Media before departing the firm in October 2019.

He has also written for GamesIndustry.biz, VGC, Games London, The Observer/Guardian and Esquire UK.

Comments

No comments
View options
  • Order by latest to oldest
  • Order by oldest to latest
  • Show all replies