ALL THE LATEST NEWS ABOUT THE BUSINESS OF PC GAMES

News

Sweden's games industry brought in $3.8bn revenue in 2020, workers up 11%

Sweden's games industry brought in $3.8bn revenue in 2020, workers up 11%

The Swedish games industry saw a 43 per cent increase in revenue in 2020.

That's according to local video games trade body Dataspelsbranschen, which says in its 2021 Game Developer Index report that the region's industry brought in revenue of €3.3 billion ($3.8 billion) last year. Profits were also up, with Swedish companies clocking €720 million ($834 million) during 2020, a 46 per cent increase.

The number of people employed in the market rose 11 per cent to 6,596, with 78.6 per cent of these staff being men. The remaining 21.4 per cent were women.

"With 81 new companies, the Swedish industry is showing stable growth and over the past decade has increased turnover from €130 million ($150.5 million) to an incredible €3.3 billion over a ten-year period," Dataspelsbranschen wrote.

"The industry as a whole continues to be profitable, now for the 12th consecutive year."


PCGamesInsider Contributing Editor

Alex Calvin is a freelance journalist who writes about the business of games. He started out at UK trade paper MCV in 2013 and left as deputy editor over three years later. In June 2017, he joined Steel Media as the editor for new site PCGamesInsider.biz. In October 2019 he left this full-time position at the company but still contributes to the site on a daily basis. He has also written for GamesIndustry.biz, VGC, Games London, The Observer/Guardian and Esquire UK.

Comments

No comments
View options
  • Order by latest to oldest
  • Order by oldest to latest
  • Show all replies