ALL THE LATEST NEWS ABOUT THE BUSINESS OF PC GAMES

News

Ubisoft: 80% of current investment going towards premium titles

Ubisoft: 80% of current investment going towards premium titles

French publishing giant Ubisoft claims that the majority of its current investment in video games is in premium titles.

Speaking to investors – as reported by VGC – CEO Yves Guillemot (pictured) said that 80 per cent of its current projects were 'traditional' premium offerings, while the remaining 20 per cent is being put into free-to-play titles.

This comes in the wake of remarks made in May of this year in which it sounded like Ubisoft was reducing its triple-A output in favour or free-to-play releases. In fact, the company says that it is just increasing its investment in the latter, which not reducing how many premium titles it has in the works.

“Our new investment phase, initiated two years ago, is the natural evolution of our commitment to build quality and depth in our portfolio to the benefits of our players. This will ultimately lead to bigger audiences and more recurring revenues,” Guillemot said.

“First, around 80% of our current investments are targeted at significantly expanding our premium offering by growing our biggest existing franchises, by building new IPs with a focus on player engagement and social interaction, and by adding blockbuster license entertainment brands to our portfolio.

“Second, around 20% of our current investments are targeted at free-to-play, to expand our brands’ universes and bring them to a wider audience across all platforms including mobile, across all geographies including emerging markets, and with multiplayer titles designed to be evergreen.

“Each of these premium and free-to-play projects is built to maximise impact on its respective brand’s universe."

Just earlier this week, French union Solidaires Informatique filed a class-action lawsuit against Ubisoft over the alleged harassment and misconduct perpetrated by staff at the company.


PCGamesInsider Contributing Editor

Alex Calvin is a freelance journalist who writes about the business of games. He started out at UK trade paper MCV in 2013 and left as deputy editor over three years later. In June 2017, he joined Steel Media as the editor for new site PCGamesInsider.biz. In October 2019 he left this full-time position at the company but still contributes to the site on a daily basis. He has also written for GamesIndustry.biz, VGC, Games London, The Observer/Guardian and Esquire UK.

Comments

No comments
View options
  • Order by latest to oldest
  • Order by oldest to latest
  • Show all replies