ALL THE LATEST NEWS ABOUT THE BUSINESS OF PC GAMES

News

Kalypso has taken over Realmforge Studios

Date Type Companies involved Size
December 4th, 2020 acquisition Kalypso Media
Realmforge Studios
Not disclosed
Kalypso has taken over Realmforge Studios

German games firm Kalypso Media has increased its stake in developer Realmforge.

The company previously owned 60 per cent of the studio, but in a post on its website, it revealed that it has snapped up the remaining 40 per cent of shares. There's no word on how much this set back the publisher.

This is because Kalypso wants Realmforge to take over development on the Tropico series. The firm has also invested in the studio and has relocated the outfit to a larger office in Munich.

“The expansion and complete takeover of the shares is a logical consequence of our strategy to expand our own development resources not only in Germany but internationally," Kalypso managing partner Simon Hellwig (pictured) said.

"We are offering the highly qualified, motivated team in Munich the opportunity to focus exclusively on the further development of exciting franchises such as Tropico, Dungeons and Spacebase Startopia in the future."

Realmforge creative director Christian Wolfertstetter added: “Developing complex city-builder and strategy games with that special x-factor element, that are well-received within the community and the wider market on all platforms – that’s something we do well. The Tropico brand is therefore a perfect fit for us."

The two companies have worked together for more than ten years, with Realmforge historically looking after the Dungeons strategy series. The studio's next title is Spacebase Startopia, which is set to launch in early 2021.


PCGamesInsider Contributing Editor

Alex Calvin is a freelance journalist who writes about the business of games. He started out at UK trade paper MCV in 2013 and left as deputy editor over three years later. In June 2017, he joined Steel Media as the editor for new site PCGamesInsider.biz. In October 2019 he left this full-time position at the company but still contributes to the site on a daily basis. He has also written for GamesIndustry.biz, VGC, Games London, The Observer/Guardian and Esquire UK.

Comments

No comments
View options
  • Order by latest to oldest
  • Order by oldest to latest
  • Show all replies